Friday, March 26, 2010

Skadoosh

Today as I sat on my floor amongst a mess of clean clothes that desperately need to be folded I was listening to some Pandora, now I love Pandora, but if it starts going the way of mainstream radio I won't stand for it! I'll boycott! What is this song that came on that makes me so upset you may ask? The first song that came on was Need You Now, by Lady Antebellum. I do like Lady A don't get me wrong, but they decided they needed to be played on pop stations as well as country so it's overplayed double what it normally would be. That is one of my biggest pet peeves, country artists thinking they can be pop too. Just choose one genre, for the love of pete! I don't exactly know who pete is but apparently he is much loved. I believe I have a key chain that informs people that my name is peter.... I might put that on my name tag at work so people will stop asking me if Pebbles is my real name.... Although, I don't know if a boy's name would really serve that purpose for me....

Anyway, on to the real reason for this post. Let me tell you a story, the setting is my front entry about three months ago... The doorbell rings and there's the Relief Society president from my home ward with a nice looking book in her hand. She hands it to me and tells me it's the manual for this year, sweet I'll put that somewhere safe......
Then she is asking me about the single's ward and whether I still want visiting teachers. I'm impartial, so I'm sad to say it was a slightly one-sided conversation as I nod randomly...
This may have been her plan all along though, next thing I know she's asking me to join an indoor 3 on 3 soccer league.
Sure, that sounds fun!
Wait! What?! Did I just agree to playing a highly competitive sport with an extremely in shape woman???? Not only did I agree, I said it sounded fun! Props to Ms. President for her strategic approach.
Now fast forward to last night. Our first game! Yikes! I'm not all that aggressive when I play sports because I'm afraid of getting hurt. For those of you who know me that will probably surprise you because in life I am a tiny bit aggressive and I will mess around with anyone. I wrestle with my brothers all the time. I don't know what it is, organized sports just scare me. So I'm sitting in the back of the car trying to telepathically tell my dad stations to find some pump up music on and to turn it up loud. Oh and did I mention at this point I was pretty much peeing myself from nerves.
We got to the field and signed in. All the boring stuff and the time has come to step onto that astro turf field. Now let's turn your attention to the other team, they're all probably early twenties and look like they know what they're doing, you know the look, their shin guards don't look brand new, their socks don't have creases in them from where they just took them out of the package.... And wait, are they wearing matching shirts??? These ladies mean business... Oh boy we are so dead...
And so it begins, three from our side in the lime green pennies provided by the facility, smelling distinctly of teenage boy and turf, and three from their side, with their nice yellow shirts and broken in shin guards. I was on the sidelines at this point, trying to watch and pick up some sort of technique before they need a sub and I get thrown to the wolves.
Now to not bore you completely I'll just tell you, I struggle with ball control, but toward the end I figured out that you can't just kick it and not follow through, chase it. Always. I also went back and forth between myself, the wall and one of the other women on the team and on the fifth bounce off the wall I kicked it in! Whoo! Now they killed us like I said, but it was 10-5 instead of 10-0 like it could have been. One of the women on our team actually played in high school so she was our fighting chance. Next game will be even better now that we have the hang of it! And I can honestly say, I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment