Sunday, March 21, 2010

My Tool of Choice Shall Be.........

A grinder!!! Oh not just any grinder, this is a special grinder. A grinder worth emulation by other grinders, a grinder so fabulous that it's the only one we amateur users will take into our hands. What makes this grinder so special? Well the spark guard of course. The guard that so lovingly sends sparks in the direction away from my eyes so I can keep the little peepers open while that disc spins at 500 miles per hour precariously close to my hand.
I'm sure you're wondering why the devil I'm talking about my fingers being too close to chopped off for my own comfort and I will tell you I promise.... Right now! I went and worked with my dad a few days last week. For those of you who don't know my father is a contractor, he puts steel framing in commercial buildings. It's a highly prestigious and dangerous line of work. Now normally when I go on a job site I don (yes, I looked up the spelling for that word) I don a hard hat, to prevent fatal head injury obviously, safety glasses, to prevent eye irritants, and a brightly colored vest, to prevent stupid forklift drivers from running me down.... Personally I don't think any aforementioned precautions would do much good if I didn't pay attention as well... Anyway, I put on my garb and sit in a lawn chair for 7-8 hours doing my best to not fall asleep... This is called Idiot Watch, although the politically correct term is Fire Watch. I watch as sparks from the welds above shower down upon concrete and make sure nothing is set ablaze... As you may have figured out from my description it's called Idiot watch because really any idiot could do it. As long as they weren't narcoleptic.... The only time my dad ever has one of these on duty is if he is required by the job superintendent. If they require one they usually also require that they do no other work, hence the parking of the rear in the lawn chair.
So the job I went on this last week had no such second requirement, which is awesome since I hate sitting around and feeling dirty since I'm on a job site. When I went up there the first thing I did was drill holes.... Not in wood, no no in cement walls. Yes, it's quite intense. I felt legit, until the drill got stuck and swung around and really hurt my poor wrist ha. Next thing I did was carry insanely heavy steel braces for around a half a block. Ouch. But I did it, twice, without taking a break. The next day is where the real fun began. I had to cut filler rod... They ranged in diameter from around a half inch to an inch. I'm sure my dad will read this and think I'm such a dork since I still have no idea what I'm talking about, but he can't comment so none of you will ever know if I'm right! Anyway, I used a hand grinder and it shoots sparks everywhere. Scary, but at least I had my safety glasses on. I also imagined every single way the dang thing could run amuck and cut off necessary body parts.... I also looked up amuck and let me inform you of the dictionary.com definition as it makes total sense in this context:
a. to rush about in a murderous frenzy: The maniac ran amuck in the crowd, shooting at random.
b. to rush about wildly; lose self-control: When the nightclub caught fire the patrons ran amuck, blocking the exits. Either will do nicely I think. So for three days last week I called myself Larry, Master of the Grinder.

On Wednesday I also went country dancing. Best night of my life! Ok, maybe not, but it was seriously so fun! I recommend it to all out there. Girls: don't worry about not knowing anything, they're patient. Boys: learn your stuff so you can teach the girls! haha I'm going again this week on Saturday with an adorable boy whom I shall only say that much about lest I jinx myself:D

One last thing I did! My dad and I went up and test drove a car in Salt Lake that I'd had my eye on, thank you ksl.com, but alas, it was a total junker. I was disappointed so we went to the government surplus lot and lo and behold, there's a truck! Extremely well taken care of inside and out, which is rare for the surplus lot. But tomorrow morning after class my mom and I are going up to check it out, figure how much insurance will be and most likely buy it!!!!! Cross your fingers for me that it's not sold as things go fast up there! I'll keep you posted!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment